Monday, March 5, 2012

My Ikea Hack: Wall Art with Lighting



I'll admit that I frequent the site Ikea Hackers, not because I have any great love for Ikea and its labyrinthine rooms of ultra modern Swedish style, but because some of the ideas are downright genius. While looking for ideas on something cool to take up all of that extra space on my incredibly white walls, which because I live in a rented house with vaulted ceilings seem to go on forever, I came across Torked Out Ribba Backlit Frame. The author had taken a few random bits of Ikea-land and made something tall, elegant, stylish, and with extra lighting. A picture frame, some bits of vase filler, and light.

Voila!

Just what I needed. Except...it was white. The background to the frame was white. I was beginning to feel like I was in some sort of hospital or asylum with the white pressing in against me. Not eggshell white even. My walls are cheap whitey-whitey white. I can smell the buy-one-get-one gallon free all around me.

I need color, STAT!  

Materials: Ribba frame (12"X16"), Torka (dried willow bundle in black), Dioder (4 LED light strips), Rustoleum spray paint, sawtooth picture hangers, speaker wire clips, hot glue gun, power drill.

The first thing I did was to take off the back of the frame (I would spray paint that later) and I drilled holes in the top of the frame. Well, technically the side of the frame.



The first thing I did was to take off the back of the frame (I would spray paint that later) and I drilled holes in the top of the frame. Well, technically the side of the frame.



I threaded the Torka sticks through the drilled holes. The banana isn't necessary, but it helped keep the sticks from falling out.



I then hot glued one set of the LED lights to the bottom of the frame, and the other set to the back of the mat. 


I spray painted the back of the frame to look like a kind of abstract setting sun, and figured with it lighted from below, it would look pretty nifty. 



The problem with putting the back of the frame back on is now there are sticks in the way, so I hammered in these small speaker wire clips to hold it in. If I would do it again, I'd do this before sticking the glass back in. Also hammered in the sawtooth picture hangers.



Here is the finished product:

 
And without the lights on:


Hope you enjoyed it. This was a lot of fun!

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis