The time is near! Tonight at the stroke of midnight, instead of turning back into a pumpkin, all WriMos begin their journey to the 50K finish line!
To all of you who are friends, family, co-workers, and acquaintances of all those crazy writers, lemme tell you a little something about the month of November. It is no longer just a month for burnt turkeys, and pretending that your family isn't fucking balls out crazy for the holidays. For writers it is National Novel Writing Month, also known as NaNoWriMo, or just NaNo. Because damn, we don't have time to spell shit out.
For National Novel Writing Month you enter a sacred pact (er, not really) to write 50,000 words of fiction for a novel. 50K in a month. To put this in perspective for all y'all non-writers, think of this as 1/2 of a published 300 page book. In a month.
Our sanity is already frayed. But to be the awesomely supportive friends/family/co-workers/creeper internet stalkers, here's what you can do for the writer in your life in November:
1. CAFFINE: Caffeinated beverages in any and all forms are beneficial to the sleep deprived WriMo. Plunking down a freshly brewed, stewed, rude cup of coffee, or in my case my obsessive love for all things Dr. Pepper, will get you at least a smile. Or maybe a distracted grunt of thanks.
2. Simma' down na': If you live with, or otherwise engage with the WriMo on a daily basis, the best thing you can do is to shhhhhhh. Be quiet. Vewy vewry quiet, as the WriMo is hunting rabbits. Plot bunnies really. Give the WriMo a little slice of peace and quiet and he/she just might reward you with a grateful nod.
3. Ra-ra-sis-boom-ba: Nothing is more awesome than a little pep rally. A "hey, you can doooo it!" or a "what's the word count?" or a "Greeeeat job there!" Or if all that bubbly happiness makes you wanna' vomit a little in your mouth, just give a couple of thumbs up.
4. The rest of the world can wait: Did I mention that doing the dishes is kinda' put off, and meals consist of Chinese take-away or Stouffers lasagna? At least for a while. We tend to kind of isolate ourselves in the effort. Be cool about the non-returned phone calls, or the "huh, you were talking to me?" Or better yet, help us do the dishes. [winky face!]
5. Join the madness: Seriously. If you have any inclination to write at all. Join us. HYPNO TOAD WISHES YOU TO JOIN US.
So, I hope you understand your WriMo a little better.