Monday, January 20, 2014

Book Pimpin': The Havoc Machine

Sometimes I forget that instead of nitpicking at a book or movie that was so-so and that makes me do that meh-face, or kvetching about my own writing, that I should, you know, like, squee about books I recently read and that made me squee.

Did I say squee?

Um, ahem. I don't squee. Never squee.

Thou shalt not squee.

Oh, who am I kidding? OhMyGodI'mGonnaSquee. Hashtag it. Or something. It's what the kids are doin' these days right? Smoking hashtags?

Anyway, my latest SqueeBook is The Havoc Machine by Steven Harper.



Obligatory blurb:

In a world riddled with the destruction of men and machines alike, Thaddeus Sharpe takes to the streets of St. Petersburg, geared toward the hunt of his life…. 
  
Thaddeus Sharpe’s life is dedicated to the hunting and killing of clockworkers. When a mysterious young woman named Sofiya Ekk approaches him with a proposition from a powerful employer, he cannot refuse. A man who calls himself Mr. Griffin seeks Thad’s help with mad clockwork scientist Lord Havoc, who has molded a dangerous machine. Mr. Griffin cares little if the evil Lord lives or dies; all he desires is Havoc’s invention. 
  
Upon Thad’s arrival at Havoc’s laboratory, he is met with a chilling discovery. Havoc is not only concealing his precious machine; he has been using a young child by the name of Nikolai for cruel experiments. Locked into a clockwork web of intrigue, Thad must decipher the dangerous truth surrounding Nikolai and the chaos contraption before havoc reigns….

What was Squee-worthy: 

Thaddeus Sharpe is a fantastic protagonist, and one that anyone who has dealt with loss of a loved one can identify with. He's smart, capable, and a hero who's not afraid to use knives. He's also outwardly singularly focused on revenge, but like all good books, he wonders and second-guesses himself along the way. What sealed it for me is his relationship with the young-boy, Nikolai, and his internal struggle with not seeing this new addition to his life as the son he lost.

Add in spider-machines running amok, the dangerous court of Tsar Alexander full of intrigue and executions, the famous big-top family of the clockwork circus, and the madness of clockworker geniuses given their genius with a deadly plague...and you have a mix for a good read.

The Havoc Machine is a rocking good time in an intriguing steampunk world.

This is the fourth (and yet standalone) book in the Clockwork Empire series. Seriously read the others, i.e. The Doomsday Vault, The Impossible Cube, The Dragon Men.

P.P.S: No, I'm not getting paid, bribed, or otherwise Chinese-finger-trap tortured, or under duress to promote this. Though if you want to I do accept bribes in the form of money. And food. And did I mention money?

Linky Love: Amazon!   Barnes & Noble



2 comments:

  1. Humorous review. Good job. Thanks for commenting on my blog. If you have time, come back on Friday for a free flash fiction story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Flash fiction is one of those things that's difficult for me to write, so I give props to anyone who can--and does.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis